Sunday, October 23, 2005

Desperate Housewives is making me desperate for another show

I've read that DH is a phenomenon among women. I've heard that women love that show because they can connect with one or more of the women on that show.

But, I can tell you, as a man, I love DH. The first season had me hooked from the first show I watched. I didn't originally watch it on my own. My wife wanted to check it out, so, in an effort to spend time in the same room as her, I watched it. Now, it is a family favorite.

No, it's not better than CSI. I would hope that you would stop reading if I even insinuated that.

But, DH is a pretty good show. The first season had a lot of good stuff in it. I think that the writers had a lot of good plans and some good leads on the plot. There was a lot of mystery surrounding all of the characters and it seemed they used good character development instead of hokey plot devices to create a good story.

But now it seems like all the mysteries are solved. We know why Mike is hanging around. We know what happened to Mary Alice. We know what happened to Dana. It seems as though every mystery that made the show interesting has been solved.

And now, DH is not the same show. Since the Applewhites moved in, I'm not sure I like the show as much as I used to. (Pointless Trivia: Alfre Woodard, who plays Betty Applewhite, also starred in Star Trek: First Contact. So maybe there's hope for the show after all.) Not so much the Applewhites, I guess, but their advent to Wisteria Lane represents a change to the show.

It all kind of seems like the writers had a great plan for some great characters for the show, but didn't expect the show to last past the first season, or they played their hand too quickly. (I just remember Babylon 5 which had a lot of mystery to a lot of the plot and the shows writers were able to make the mystery last the entire 5 or so seasons!) I just think that the writers for DH should have either introduced some deeper mysteries or should not have solved all of them in the first season.

I'm not really hooked so much anymore by the allure of the show. I still like the show and some of the ideosyncracies of the characters, and well, the women are quite hot, so that makes it easier to watch. But unless the show makes a turn-around soon, I'm not sure what the fate of that one hour on Sunday night is going to be.

No comments: