Sunday, April 22, 2007

Book Review

Crazies to the Left and Wimps to the Right. Sounded like a fair assessment to me. Don't get me wrong, I don't think that everyone on the left is a nutjob. Nor do I think that everyone on the right is... right. We need both sides for balance. Our country would not be the great nation it is today if it weren't for contributions from both sides. The problem is, when one side thinks that everyone on the other side is wrong or stupid, then we have a problem.

Anyway, I bought this book because the title really spoke to how I've been feeling lately about our politicians. It's an easy read; only took me about two or three hours to read it.

But, honestly, it's not that great. Most of the stuff in there I already knew and it's not really a 50/50 split against the Left and Right. It's probably about a 75/25 split against the Left. Near the end, there's like three or four chapters where nothing is said about the position of the Right on the specific subject.

Basically, it wasn't an idea book, which is really what I'm after. And I should have known that from the title. In fact, I had another book in my hand and I was trying to decide between the two and now I am sorry I didn't pick it up. I don't need someone to tell me that the media is biased or that the Right just wants to be liked by the Left. As much reading as I do on a day to day basis, I could have written the book myself.

However, if you don't consider yourself to be informed... er... well... Let me put it another way, since most people really do consider themselves to be informed...

If you don't spend much time surfing the web for politics information (at least a few times per week) or if you don't listen to talk radio very much, I would recommend this book, but only if you really just want to bolster your anti-left thinking.

No comments: